Black and white photo of James C Flood.

1850

James C. Flood arrived in California in 1850 in search of opportunity and sunshine.  As early as 1882 the Flood  Family was farming and ranching in California.

Jim and Betty Flood on a hillside overlooking Rancho Sisquoc vineyards below

1952

James C. Flood’s grandson, Jim, and his wife Betty carried on the farming and ranching tradition when in 1952 they purchased the historic Rancho Sisquoc*.

In the 1950s the Floods ran Rancho Sisquoc primarily as a cattle ranch, whilst also farming beans and grain. Jim and Betty taught their four children Jimmie, Judy, Johnny, and Elizabeth how to ride horses whilst rounding up cattle. Today, their great-grandchildren (6th generation Floods) work on their riding skills with the cowboys on the ranch, as the cattle operation continues.

*’Sisquoc’ is the native Chumash word meaning quail. The Sisquoc River, a designated Wild and Scenic River, flows through the Los Padres National Forest, the San Rafael Wilderness, and Rancho Sisquoc before joining the Cuyama River up the coast from Santa Barbara.

Vineyard rows in the fall with coastal mountains in the background.

1968

The chaparral watershed and Mediterranean climate inspired the Floods to plant their first vineyards in the late 1960s, some of the very first in Santa Barbara County.

The first test vines were planted with the guidance of Napa Valley enologist, Andre Tchelistcheff. Varietals were matched with the unique microclimates and terroir  of Rancho Sisquoc.

Rancho Sisquoc logo. A hand drawn image of the San Ramon Chapel with the words Rancho Sisquoc beneath.

1972

The very first Rancho Sisquoc estate wines, Cabernet and Riesling, were bottled.

Betty Flood, a talented artist, drew the wine label of the San Ramon Chapel on a napkin. It is this drawing that graces our wine labels to this very day.

The San Ramon Chapel, marking the entrance to Rancho Sisquoc, was built in 1875 and became the first official landmark in Santa Barbara County in 1966.

Rancho Sisquoc tasting room front on.

1973

The winery building is completed. This original building is our tasting room today.

Welcome Rancho Sisquoc Winery barrel sign.

1977

Rancho Sisquoc becomes a bonded winery and officially opens to the public.

Rancho Sisquoc all varietal bottle line up.

1997

Our Wine Club is founded and the first shipments go out to a small number of Charter Members.

Vineyards and coastal mountain vista.

2020

Today we have almost 300 acres of vineyards, with 14 varietals planted, producing about 15,000 cases. There are over 1000 head of cattle on the ranch. The 6th generation of Floods remain at the helm of the ranch and winery operations to this day.

Age Verification

Are you of legal drinking age?